Australia Awards 2024
Australia’s international development assistance in Niue helps promote prosperity, reduce poverty, and enhance political stability.
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders in developing countries. Through study and research, recipients gain the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to make an impact on development challenges in Niue.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and other marginalised groups.
Priority fields of study
The priority areas of study for Niue are:
- Education (including but not limited to): educational assessment; education training and development (early childhood, primary, secondary, non-formal, and special and inclusive education); linguistics or multilingual studies; and vernacular studies;
- Governance (including but not limited to): justice; law; policing; public administration; and social and community work; and
- Sustainable economic development (including but not limited to): agriculture; computer science; engineering (civil, electrical, environmental, geospatial; marine, mechanical, physics, renewable energy); economics; financial management and administration; health and medical (nursing, nursing practitioners, pharmacy, physiotherapy, public health); hospitality and tourism services; information and technology systems; management; marketing; skilled trades (carpentry, construction, electrical); transport systems and management; and water, sanitation, and hygiene.
The governments of Australia and Niue regularly review these areas of study together and adjust the emphasis of the program.
Level of study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Niue with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution. Awards will be offered for commencement in 2024 within the following allocations:
- Masters level.
Australia Awards benefits
Australia Awards scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training. Scholarship recipients will receive the following:
- return air travel;
- a one-off establishment allowance on arrival;
- full tuition fees;
- contribution to living expenses;
- introductory academic program;
- overseas student health cover for the duration of the scholarship;
- supplementary academic support; and
- fieldwork allowance for research students and masters by coursework which has a compulsory fieldwork component.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook, available here.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Niue must also meet the following conditions:
- must be residing in Niue at the time of application;
- must be a minimum of 18 years as at 1 February 2023
- must not be serving an existing scholarship bond;
- must be able to meet the institutional entry requirements for their proposed course;
- have at least 3 years’ of relevant work experience; and
- civil servants are strongly encouraged to seek prior approval from their supervisor
For study commencing in Australia in 2024:
Opening date: 1 February 2023
Closing date: 1 May 2023 (11:59PM AEST)
Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered
The application process
All applications must be lodged online through the Online Australia Awards Scholarships Information System (OASIS) here.
Applicants must submit all of the relevant supporting documents listed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Applicants are not required to submit evidence of country- specific conditions, but evidence may be requested at a later time during selection process.
The selection process
- Applications will be shortlisted after eligibility checking.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The selection process includes an interview. Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria: -
- academic competence; -
- potential outcome, specifically the contribution to development outcomes in Niue; and
- professional and personal leadership attributes including relevant work experience.
- Successful candidates will be notified no later than September 2023.
- Awardee travel will be subject to meeting the requirements imposed by the Australian Government, as determined by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment, and must meet the requirements imposed by State and Territory governments.
Successful applicants will be required to attend:
- course counselling
- pre-departure briefing
- university’s Introductory Academic Program
- other required preparatory study on arrival in Australia.
Information about the Australia Awards—Niue can be found here.
More general information about the Australia Awards, Australia’s aid program, and studying in Australia can be found at the following links:
Information about visas and Australia Awards scholarship entitlements and conditions can be found in the Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Address: Tapeu-Porritt Rd, Alofi
Telephone: +683 4173
Email: [email protected]